Everyone wants a bright, white smile, but tooth discoloration can make this very difficult to achieve. Even patients who take great care of their teeth may experience teeth that are yellow and stained.
To get the dream smile you’ve always wanted, you must understand the causes of tooth discoloration and how to address them.
Read on to learn more about the causes of teeth staining and the best teeth whitening in Quincy.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
- Tobacco use. Tobacco increases the likelihood of gum disease and also causes teeth staining.
- Staining foods. Foods and drinks can also lead to discoloration. Very dark or bright foods can stain teeth such as coffee, tea, soda, bets, tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries, etc.
- Improper dental hygiene. Not flossing or brushing enough is one of the major causes of tooth discoloration.
- Medication. Some medicines may cause tooth discoloration. For example, many antibiotics, as well as high blood pressure medication and antihistamines can lead to yellow teeth.
- Aging. Tooth enamel thins as we age, which reveals the dentin of teeth. The dentin and teeth yellow with age.
How to Get Rid of Discoloration on Teeth
Discolored teeth can make you lose confidence in your smile, but there are many ways to improve the whiteness and brightness of your teeth. Here are some of the best tips for how to get rid of tooth discoloration and prevent it from worsening:
- Brushing and flossing twice daily.
- Using a whitening toothpaste approved by your dentist.
- Brushing immediately after eating.
- Drinking dark, staining liquids from a straw to minimize contact with the teeth.
- Frequently drinking water.
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet promote enamel strength.
- Getting your professional dental cleaning twice a year.
Teeth Whitening in Quincy and Norwell
Many of the tips above help prevent tooth discoloration, but getting rid of stains is very hard. Ultimately, the best strategy for how to get rid of tooth discoloration is professional teeth whitening in Quincy.
Our team at Advanced Dental Arts offers effective, safe teeth whitening. We will help you come up with the best at-home regimen for maintaining your newly whitened teeth as well. Schedule your appointment for teeth whitening today by clicking the button below.