Dental fillings are a common oral health procedure.
Part of the reason tooth fillings are so common is that the issue that they are used to address is: cavities.
A tooth filling can prevent a cavity (or small crack) from worsening and requiring a root canal.
So, how long do fillings last?
In this article, we’ll detail what you need to know about the lifespan of a dental filling.
How Long Do Teeth Fillings Last?
There are several potential materials modern dentists use for tooth filling. While gold and silver were common because of their cheap cost, they are no longer the standard.
Overall, all tooth fillings are fairly durable and can last for roughly 10 years. Here’s a more detailed breakdown based on material:
- Resin: Natural-looking material, but it only tends to last 5-7 years.
- Silver: The lifespan for silver tooth fillings is 10-15 years.
- Gold: These may not be the most discreet, but they can last 15- 30 years.
- Ceramic: Porcelain and ceramic fillings are now the standards because of their very natural appearance. Additionally, they can last over 15 years.
Tips for Making Tooth Fillings Last Longer
How long are fillings supposed to last? The answer above is only part of the equation. There are many steps you can take to help increase the lifespan of your dental fillings.
Here are some tips:
- Use a night mouth guard to fight bruxism and preserve your filings.
- Use a sports mouthguard during any risky activities.
- Brush twice a day and floss daily to keep your teeth clean.
- Visit the dentist regularly for a teeth cleaning and dental exam.
Tooth Filling in Quincy and Norwell
Another key to long-lasting dental fillings is to choose the right dentist. Advanced Dental Arts are here for all of your dental needs, including tooth fillings.
We are always here to answer any question you may have like “how long do teeth fillings last?”, and you can count on us for quality dental care. Our dedicated team will assess your smile and determine if a tooth filling can help you.
Schedule your appointment now for a tooth filling in Quincy or Norwell!